How we support children with transition when moving up, joining or leaving our school
When a child comes in to Foley Park, a member of staff will collect information and records from the child’s previous school and from the family. We always encourage parents to visit our school before the transition. We plan carefully to help children to feel safe and to settle in. We arrange transition events so children can meet their new teacher and support staff and also so the school becomes a familiar place.
When a child moves up to the next class, we organise class hand-over meetings where teachers and support staff make sure that the new teacher and Teaching Assistant (TA) have a clear understanding of the needs of all children.
We also provide an opportunity for parents and their children with SEND to meet the new teacher and TA before the start of the school year.
Parents and children will be able to visit the new classroom and get to know the new adults who will be teaching and supporting them.
When a child comes to our school in the middle of a term, we plan a range of support – depending on the particular needs of each child. This may involve a child/team of children to help them settle in to the new class and provide help to find their way around the school.
Other transitions may include:
Primary to Secondary
- Support for move to new building and curriculum
- Support for friendships and well being
- Planning support for learning
- Attend Induction days
- Hold Transition meetings with parents
- Invite Visits to our schools
- Our SENDCo liaises with secondary school SENDCos, this may include visits once the child has begun to settle to share strategies and information which may help