At Foley Park Primary Academy, PSHE is at the core of what we do and enables our children to become independent, confident, healthy and responsible members of society, as well as developing the “whole child” intellectually, morally, socially and spiritually. Through our whole-school approach to PSHE, it is our belief that excellence in these areas will lead to excellence across the curriculum and beyond in later life. As a school we use the Young citizens resources and access the PSHE association. Our PSHE curriculum equips children with relevant and meaningful content, which is supported through a strong emphasis on emotional literacy, building resilience and nurturing mental and physical health.
The DfE has recently reinforced the need “to create and enforce a clear and rigorous expectation on all schools to promote the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.”
Our School Values demonstrates how the British Values underpin the life of the school:
Focus On Family, Insist On Excellence, Doing Good As You Go, Embrace Innovation and Seize Success:
- To enable pupils to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence;
- To enable pupils to distinguish right from wrong so they can go on to respect the civil and criminal law of Britain;
- To encourage pupils to accept responsibility for their behaviour and to show initiative in how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to the wider society;
- To enable pupils to acquire a broad general knowledge of and respect for public institutions and services in Britain;
- To develop tolerance and harmony between different cultural traditions by enabling pupils to acquire an appreciation of and respect for their own and other cultures;
- To encourage respect for other people;
- To encourage respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic processes.